Metal buildings are constructed from highly conductive sheet metal and are more difficult to insulate than other types of buildings. Applying just a conductive insulation alone like fiberglass batting or foam insulation can be problematic. Traditional Insulations features an R-Value. Any insulation that features just an R-Value is designed to cope with Conductive or Convective heat. Heat moves by Conduction, Convection and Radiation in all buildings.
Traditional R-Valued insulation does not cope well against Radiation. R-Values are determined in an ASTM credited lab at room temperatures with no sunlight (or Radiation from the sun) no wind or humidity. The insulation being tested is placed in between two plates and a 50-degree temperature increase is applied to one plate. The time it takes for the heat to travel from one plate to the other, through the insulation is basically factored into an R-Value.
The biggest problem with just relying on R-Values in metal buildings is the real-world application is very different than the lab test. Metal buildings can absorb a tremendous amount of energy from the sun. When the outer skin of a metal building exceeds temperatures of 150 degrees Fahrenheit you no longer have a 50-degree temperature variance, and the R-Value standards are no longer valid. In fact, the building’s insulation will retain that heat into the night.
Studies show in the summer months that as much as 93% of a metal building’s heat gain is from the radiation from the sun. The same studies show that up to 75% of a metal building’s heat loss in the winter is due to radiation.
The Florida Solar Project shows Mass Insulation traps heat while one layer of radiant barrier is more effective blocking heat transfer than 6” of fiberglass.
Metal buildings have a bigger Radiation problem than a conductive problem. The most cost-effective way to cope with the radiation problem is to integrate a Radiant Barrier into your insulation application.
The most efficient cost-effective way to combine the advantages of mass insulation and Radiant Barriers is to apply something like “SMART-BARRIER” system by Innovative Insulation Inc.
The “SMART-BARRIER” system features:
- A tough White Polyethylene puncture resistant coating on one side and a 95% reflective coating on the other. The white side is designed to be a finished ceiling that is peck resistant and power washable.
- The SMART-BARRIER system comes with fiberglass batting attached to the silver side ranging in thicknesses of 2” to 6” thick. The fiberglass provides a condensation blanket and will help with local building code requirements.
- The SMART-BARRIER system comes in 52”, 64” and 96” to fit your application.
- The White/Silver facing comes with a Lifetime Warranty, so you will not have to do it again.
- The SMART-BARRIER system provides a moisture barrier, a vapor barrier, a radiant barrier, insulation and a finished ceiling or wall with one easy to apply pass saving a tremendous amount of labor.
For more information call:
Perry Faulk Sr.
Innovative Insulation Inc.